This motion has for main purpose to :
- Act the desire of the members to change our current organization in order to allow us to be more active inside the PPI
- Not close the General Assembly until it decides to do so
- Require the Board to proceed to an administrative and financial reform
FIRST PART : ARGUMENTS
Democracy and members involvement
The members of PPI are only voters once a year and, sometime, a bunch of helping hands when an event is organized. The rest of the time, the Board rules, decides, tries to do some things at the same time it tries to do administrative works. It can’t work and, in fact it’s not the role of the board to make things happen. Indeed, the role of a Board is to help that the decisions of the General Assembly become a reality by providing support : a place to talk, a place to vote, some money, gather and share a network… The Board - even if it has a political role to play - is first and foremost a support.
We are Pirates and we are fighting for more democracy. We have to assume this position and be exigent with ourselves.
We are Pirates and we have common roots and one of those is to go behind the frontiers and being citizens of the world.
We are Pirates, we share values and we wish to achieve the same goals.
But in order to do this goal we need to communicate and decide together. It is time for the members of the PPI to be active, to build their project continuously and decide and make strong move to prove to the world that we are a true and authentic international movement.
Respect the past and imagine the future
In 2012, the General Assembly set up ambitious goals for PPI. They are still actual. But we need to be realistic, the Board by himself can not achieve them and increasing the numbers of its members will not change the situation and we - members - will not have the capacity to do everything even if we work together.
That why we need to have more time and opportunity to decide during the year to debate and to act what PPI’s future will look like, what project we will support, what policies we want to promote.
If we have to respect the past and all the work that have been done we need to face the future.
That is why we need to be able to act our decision even if we are not reaching a perfect consensus. If at some point in front of a subject we are not able to decide we will have to choose. The only solution will be to vote. The world will not wait for us to agree on every point.
A project for a better democracy
The main goal of this motion is to put aside the actual statutes and the current functioning of the PPI. During this time three mechanisms will be put in place :
Permanent Assembly : Each member, with the same power of vote as the one given by the statutes for the GA, can propose, construct, vote, decide on every subject that it estimates to be important ;
Executive Board : The board conducts the will of the Pirates and its members’ organizations and the changes of the PPI according of the decisions made by the Permanent Assembly. The board doesn’t take decision but provides informed opinions. Its needs to fulfil the wishes of the Permanent Assembly. The Board is the keeper of the durability of PPI as a legal structure ;
Change of statutes : During this time, Members and volunteers will work on a re-foundation of the PPI, and obviously its statutes. The main goal of these changes is to protect these new mechanisms : members empowerment. And because we change, we need to discuss the role of the PPI as its core, its purpose. We need to find what we want the PPI to accomplish: a political view of the world.
SECOND PART : LEGAL DISPOSITION
We, members of the PPI, according our will to build an international pirate movement, are acting our common desire to re-build commonly the organization to face the challenges that we will face in the future.
For that purpose :
The Article IX of the Statutes is amended as follow :
- (1) The General Assembly is the supreme body of Pirate Parties International and is composed of all the Members of that association.
- (2) The General Assembly is organized in sessions. The General Assembly have to organize at least two sessions per year. Once a year, the General Assembly vote on a calendar that define the frequency of the sessions.
- (3) The last session of the year is dedicated to vote on the reports, to elect the board members, the Court of Arbitration members and the Lay auditors, and vote the budget for the next year.
- (4) The General Assembly decides with the majority of the votes, one vote per sovereign state that has at least one Ordinary Member.
- (5) Member Organizations are represented at any meeting of the General Assembly by delegates not exceeding six from any one Member Organization.
- (6) The quorum is established at one third of the members.
- (7) The General Assembly shall adopt its own rules of procedure.
- (8) Session of the General Assembly are announced at least two weeks prior to the meeting. Board send an formal invitation to all members.
The article XI of the Statutes is amended as follow :
- (1) All votes and meetings are public
- (2) Each sovereign state with at least one Ordinary Member shall have one vote
- (3) Resolutions shall be taken
- (a) By a simple majority of the sum of the votes of the Ordinary Members present or represented and voting. In the event of a tie, the motion is defeated.
- (b) Decisions concerning the admission of new Members (section III. paragraph 4), the exclusion of Members (section VII, paragraph 2), the determination of the annual affiliation fee (section XVI, paragraph 1) and the amendment of this Statutes (section XX), shall be passed by a two thirds majority of the votes cast.
- (4) An Ordinary Member which is unable to be present at a meeting of the General Assembly may vote by proxy given to another Member,
- (5) The General Assembly use a permanent online vote system that allow transparency, tracking of decision making process and archiving,
The Board is in charge of the organization of the session of the General Assembly regarding the following instruction :
- a) The first session have to take place before the end of May 2020
- b) Before the vote, the time for debates will not be less than four weeks in order to allow delegates to translate and communicate the motion to the respective organization
- c) Member will have to be informed of the dead line to tabling motion at least two weeks before it
- d) The vote period will not be less than one week
- e) The tabling and voting platform is Congressus except if the General Assembly changes it. the debates platform is Discourse. Oral debate can be organize if required by at least two members.
- f) To be added to the agenda, a motion must be support by two members
- g) Amended must be table one week before the end of the debates. If the writers of the motion do not accept to merge the amendment, the amendment will be vote as a counterproposal.
- h) The quorum and the majority for the vote are those defined by the Statutes. Quorum is calculated per motion and not for the session.
The present instruction have to be replaced by new Rules of Procedure for the General Assembly.