M1 : Setting up a Permanent General Assembly
The motion presented here shall be taken for a structured, democratic and accessible way to progress with PPI functioning. The purpose here is to allow the PPI to adopt a rhythm that separates the construction of motion, the debates and the votes. This structure allows enlightened decisions. Those decisions are taken by a permanent assembly, composed with all the members of the PPI. This assembly shall offer a way for more participation from members, a way for effective direct democracy.
The spirit of the actual statutes is preserved regarding the competences of the GA and of the Board.
This reformed statutes are the first step for a more active PPI, more focused on its goals.
The General Assembly of the Pirate Parties International, according to the article XX of the Statutes, amendments the statutes of the association as follow :
Article 1 : General Assembly
I) The article IX. General Assembly is rewritten as follow:
(1) The General Assembly is the supreme body of Pirate Parties International and is composed of all the Members of that association.
(2) The General Assembly is competent to :
a) Establish the policies and political orientation of the association
b) Vote on the application for membership and exclusion of members
c) Elect Board members, Court of Arbitration members, lay auditor and any position appointment which does not fall under the competence of another organ of the association
d) Vote on amendments to the Statutes and the Rules of Procedure of the association
e) Approve Board’s Rules of Procedure, Court of Arbitration’s Rules of Procedure
(3) Once a year, the General Assembly votes on :
a) The report of the Board and the Treasurer
b) The report of the Court of Arbitration
c) The report of the Lay Auditor
d) The budget for the next year
e) The calendar of the sessions for the next year
(4) The Board, the Court of Arbitration, Committees and Members can present report and recommendations to the General Assembly.
If the General Assembly approves the report or the recommendations, the Board is charged executed them with the help of other organ of the association if required.
II) The article X. Functions of the General Assembly is renamed “Functionning of the General Assembly” and is rewritten as follow:
(1) The General Assembly is organized in sessions. There is at least one session per year.
(2) The Rules of procedure defines :
a) deadlines for each phases of the session
b) debates procedures
c) procedure for proxy
d) vote power
e) voting procedures
f) any rule necessary for the running of sessions of the General Assembly which are not provided for in these statutes
(3) The quorum is fixed at one third of the Ordinary Members counted for each vote
(4) Member Organizations are represented at any session of the General Assembly by a delegate or delegates not exceeding six from any one Member Organization.
Article 2 : Board
I) The article XII. Board is rewritten as follow:
(1) The Board assures the good management of the association, its administrative, financial and legal governance, the intern life animation and the external relations.
The Board is the executive organ of the association.
(2) The functions of the Board are:
a) to act on behalf of the General Assembly according to its instructions and to give effect to its decisions, recommendations and policies,
b) Publish the agenda, promulgate the results, and transcribe them on the dedicated platforms, and appoint the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the General Assembly meeting according to the Rules of Procedure,
c) to represent the association at international and national events,
d) to advise and assist Member Organizations,
e) to ensure the financial management of the association including preparing and executing budget,
f) to keep the register of members in accordance with applicable legal obligations
g) to exercise other functions resulting from these Statutes or the Rules of Procedure.
(3) The Board is composed of:
a) one Chairperson,
b) one Vice-Chairperson,
c) one Treasurer
c) seven additional Board Members
(4) If the Chairperson, Vice-chairperson or Treasurer position is vacant, the Board elects among its members an acting person until the next session of the General Assembly.
(5) If a position is vacant, a vote is held at the nearest General Assembly session to fill it.
If the delay between the beginning of the vacancy and the next session and that the efficiency of the Board requires it, the Chairperson may appoint an acting person to this position.
(6) After each Board election, the Board establishes for each of its members a position description indicating the missions within the organization for which he will be a referent.
(7) The Board Members is elected for two years renewed by half by the General Assembly during the last session of the year.
The Rules of Procedures specify the modalities of this alternating election.
II) The article XIII. Functions of the Board is renamed “Functioning of the Board” and is rewritten as follow:
(1) The Board shall meet regularly and not less than once a quarter and every time that these Statutes or Rules of Procedure requiere it.
(2) The Board meetings are public unless at least one third of the Members of the Board vote in favor of a non-public meeting. The decision to hold a non-public meeting must be justified.
Minutes of public meetings have to be published on the appropriate platform.
(3) A Board member may resign at any moment.
(4) A sit is vacant when :
a) A board member resigns
b) A board member dies
c) A board member has a long term disease that prevents it to assume its position
d) A board member does not execute its functions for more than two months
(5) If the seat has neither become vacant by resignation nor death of the Board Member the remaining Board Members have to declare the seat as vacant by majority vote.
(6) The Board establishes its own Rules of Procedure that have to be approved by the General Assembly.
III) The article VIII. Membership Register is deleted
IV) The article XIV. PPI Headquarters (4) is rewritten as follow:
(4) The administrative, financial and legal managements of the PPI Headquarters is the responsibility of the Board.
The budget of the PPI Headquarter is included in the Budget of the association.
Please read this other motion containing the new Rules of Procedure : INFO: New Motions